Assignment Three: Colour me

The aim of Graphic Design is to inform

Since reading the brief for this particular Assignment I’ve been excited about the range of possibilities that it presented to me. Colour choice was very straight forward, blue. I find it calming relaxing and when combined with the happy warmth of yellow as a contrast it becomes very calming. While I was briefly tempted by contemporary shades of pink and grey, I held my ground and stuck with my plan.

I had a couple of ideas I wanted to play with so set to making my plans, drawing and colouring my ideas. Refining and designing I started to visualise what I wanted to do so set to using Adobe Photoshop CC and Affinity Designer.

Sketches and swatches

I chose to experiment with collage, illustrations and the fonts held by my DTP applications to explore the best way to create a theme. My first task was to create a simple contrast image (Dev Contrast Concept #1) to see how the colours would interact and what would be the best way to represent these.

 

Blue and yellow watercolour swatches

I then created a series of blue and yellow swatches using watercolour pens, paints and pencils. These were scanned then in Photoshop selected and isolated as individual colour samples. A couple of which were then chosen to have their tints and shades identified as a unique colour samples in Designer for future use.

After a couple of false starts, I settled on a collage effect as this was the most dynamic for me and I was able to utilise stills from my photo library and experiment with colours and arrangements in Designer.

During my experimentation and as I drew various elements together I felt that a Fat Face font would suit my needs. I envisaged the word BLUE as an overlay layer featuring a single example of the colour in its font.

Looking through the font library I settled on Wildfire, designed by the Retro Supply Co. in 2012, as the idea font. Wanting to feature bright colours I chose the stamen of a yellow dog rose and a blue locomotive for the two backgrounds.

Concepts

After experimenting with the two main coloured backgrounds I found myself favouring the blue background with the yellow overlay of the word BLUE. Initially, the blue seemed to be quite dark, so I set to changing the tone and shade, lightning it enough so that it didn’t smother the font, but bright enough to retain details and not white-out details in the photographs.

I then experimented with how the lettering was arranged and after considering the traditional setting of the font I realised it didn’t do it for me visually. It lacked impact. The factor being that by arranging it traditionally I was unable to resize the word to such a point where it made a difference.

I decided upon boxing the wording up. This would allow for a larger font size as well as revealing some of the patterns of the rose petals. To enable the wording to stand out a little more I experimented with both inner and outer glow as well as shadowing. In the end, I settled with a subtle shadowing effect so as not to make the font look too overly processed yet still stand out.

The final submissions

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s